Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:50:48 -0700

On Sep 11, 6:11 pm, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Based on the information he supplied - a corrupt file - it should be
> possible to backup the controlfile to trace - i assume you knew that -

did you? I storngly suggest you drop the "assume" and use facts...

> or at least you should have know it.

Really? You don't say...

> No, the idea is different. If this backup to trace doesn't work - you
> keep that option open - then that is important information in
> troubleshooting this problem: there is more going on then a corrupt
> datafile and he overlooked vital information.

I'm sorry, I don't follow your reasoning here. You interject on a "list the strings" that it is too elaborate. Then you follow it up with a heck of a lot of speculation. Now you seem to agree that it is an option?

> Again, if his information is correct there is no speculation needed
> for the informed DBA.

And you know that his information is correct because?....
And can you please define "informed DBA"? Or is that some crap you're just throwing in?

> > Too hard to read a screen?
>
> It seems you're irritated that people give a different solution -

No I am irritated that you only threw your solution AFTER I put mine forward. What's the matter, fishing for a fight? If so, I recommend you show your true colours instead if using
an id that has posted here less than 20 times...

> solution that falls within the oracle database as opposed to your
> filescanning trick.

Here we go with the "trick" bullshit. Since when is using a defined and documented Unix command a "trick"? Are you completely ignorant of what is avialbale in Unix?

> If you know of an useful application of your trick
> that hasn't got an oracle equivalent, then that would be more
> interesting. Please post if you know examples,

Sorry, but I don't give courses in basic Unix for free. Try fishing somewhere else.

<plonk> Received on Tue Sep 11 2007 - 04:50:48 CDT