Re: Oracle & DB2 source code

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 00:02:29 -0400

"mvsguy" <kkinney_at_fuse.net> wrote in message news:1189081345.015988.252380_at_o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
>I have a question regarding a common source code base supporting both
> Oracle & DB2.
>
> I'm in a tough spot. I know people who assume the same COBOL source
> code can used regardless whether someone is using DB2 or Oracle. (This
> is for a product running on Win. Unix and z/OS.)
> I'm highly skeptical of this but don't have any proof to support my
> position.
>
> Can someone out there help by giving some real life examples?
>
> Regards,
> MVSGuy

I worked on a Y2K project converting IBM COBOL/DB2 code into VAX COBOL/Oracle code. We had a conversion routine we'd run the IBM COBOL code through to generate VAX COBOL code. Even with that all it really saved us was typing the programs in from scratch.

Not only did we run up against the occasional differences between the IBM COBOL and the VAX COBOL (some of the IBM code hadn't been touched since it had been written in the 1970s) we almost always had to tweak the converted SQL code.

This was back using Oracle 7 and Oracle has grown by leaps and bounds since then so I would imagine that project would be even more of a headache than it was before.

You MIGHT be able to do what these people assume but the end result wouldn't be anywhere near "decent". Received on Fri Sep 07 2007 - 23:02:29 CDT