Re: How I run a shell script from the scheduler on 10.2.0.2.0 ?

From: <owensmith99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:02:53 -0000

Oracle People,

Ravi's comments looked promising.

I looked for root.sh

bash sol oracle ~ 23 $
bash sol oracle ~ 23 $ cd $ORACLE_BASE
bash sol oracle ~ 24 $ find . -name root.sh -print
./product/10r2/root.sh
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $

I looked for evidence that it alters permissions of files related to external jobs:

bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $
bash sol oracle ~ 25 $ grep CHOWN ./product/10r2/root.sh
CHOWN=/bin/chown
      $CHOWN $ORACLE_OWNER $LBIN/`$ECHO $f | $AWK -F/ '{print $NF}'`
2>&1 2>> $LOG
$CHOWN $ORACLE_OWNER ${ORATAB}
CHOWN="/usr/bin/chown"
  CHOWN=/bin/chown
$CHOWN root $ORACLE_HOME/bin/nmo
$CHOWN root $ORACLE_HOME/bin/nmb
$CHOWN root  /var/tmp/.oracle
$CHOWN root  /tmp/.oracle
bash sol oracle ~ 26 $

bash sol oracle ~ 26 $
bash sol oracle ~ 26 $

I did not expect that it would. I'm diligent about following instructions when I install oracle.

Perhaps root.sh was enhanced by a quarterly patch. I'm on an eval license; I have
no access to support or quarterly patches.

Anyway, I took these steps to follow Ravi's suggestions:

-emctl stop agent
-emctl stop dbconsole
-lsnrctl stop
-SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

chown root $ORACLE_HOME/bin/extjob
chmod 4750 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/extjob
chown root $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/externaljob.ora
chmod 640 $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/externaljob.ora

-STARTUP
-lsnrctl start
-emctl start agent
-emctl start dbconsole

Result?

It worked.
I can now run shell scripts from the scheduler. Also I'm pleased that the scripts run as the user I specify in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/externaljob.ora

For security reasons I don't want external jobs run as a privileged user like oracle or root.

Thanks Ravi!

-Owen