Oracle11 & statistics calculations

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:25:38 -0400

Oracle11 has some new additions to the mechanism of statistics calculation. The old GATHER_STATS_JOB is gone, it is replaced by BSLN_MAINTAIN_STATS_JOB which, unfortunately, doesn't run DBMS_STATS, it uses an undocumented package DBSNMP.BSLN_INTERNAL which maintains baselines for the AWR. I have to questions: 1) Is AWR in version 11G still a licensed product that has to be paid

           for? Do we still have to spend money on statspack on steroids? 2) My assumption is that BSLN_INTERNAL still calls

	DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DATABASE_STATS(options=>'GATHER AUTO'), just as
	GATHER_STATS_JOB used to do but I cannot prove it. Any ideas as
	how to check that? If my assumption is correct, then the oracle11
	job should be disabled, just the way oracle10 job was disabled
	immediately after the installation was complete.
Baselines, fixed windows and moving windows are described in oracle11 performance tuning manual. Received on Wed Aug 29 2007 - 04:25:38 CDT