Re: Oracle11 & statistics calculations

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:56:48 -0700

On Aug 29, 5:25 am, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Oracle11 has some new additions to the mechanism of statistics
> calculation. The old GATHER_STATS_JOB is gone, it is replaced by
> BSLN_MAINTAIN_STATS_JOB which, unfortunately, doesn't run DBMS_STATS, it
> uses an undocumented package DBSNMP.BSLN_INTERNAL which maintains
> baselines for the AWR. I have to questions:
> 1) Is AWR in version 11G still a licensed product that has to be paid
> for? Do we still have to spend money on statspack on steroids?

There's some new doc on licensing and some changes in the options. The short answer is I believe yes if you want to use it you should be paying for it.

> 2) My assumption is that BSLN_INTERNAL still calls
> DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DATABASE_STATS(options=>'GATHER AUTO'), just as
> GATHER_STATS_JOB used to do but I cannot prove it. Any ideas as
> how to check that? If my assumption is correct, then the oracle11
> job should be disabled, just the way oracle10 job was disabled
> immediately after the installation was complete.

There's probably a bunch of different ways to prove it but one approach that is supported would involve opening a service request with oracle on your question.

Hacking up some triggers and putting some low level traces on is another way since you are just testing.