Re: what characterset to use?

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 24 Aug 2007 10:27:31 GMT

Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm not saying it is feasible to have a database set to use US7ASCII
> as its character set. I'm simply saying that in the scenario that
> Sybrand listed, 1 database and 1 client both being set to us7ascii, I
> don't see the issue. UNLESS you introduce a client using a different
> character set.

This IS the issue.

Can you be certain that your database or database clients will still be on the same operating system in 10 years from now?

Can you be certain that your company will not access the database with JDBC in the next 10 years?

And in these and similar scenarios you'll be up shit creek, and the only paddle you have got is ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET, and you better say a prayer first that all clients used the same encoding when they entered text into the database...

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 05:27:31 CDT