Re: what characterset to use?

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:02:10 -0700

> If your client NLS_LANG is US7ASCII AND your database NLS_LANG is
> US7ASCII, no conversion will take place. THIS will 'corrupt' your
> data.

> Ben <bal..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> > If you database is setup as us7ascii then no 8 bit data can be stored
> > in the first place. correct? If the client was setup as us7ascii also,
> > then I don't see the problem. Client can't read or write 8 bit data
> > and database can't store 8 bit data, there wouldn't be any need for a
> > conversion. What am I missing here?
>
> Integrity.
>
> The problem will be that the database has no idea about the encoding you
> use for text data.
>
> The problem will manifest as soon as you try to retrieve these data in
> some other context - with a client on some other platform, with
> a client that uses a different character set (say, JDBC).
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

I'm not saying it is feasible to have a database set to use US7ASCII as its character set. I'm simply saying that in the scenario that Sybrand listed, 1 database and 1 client both being set to us7ascii, I don't see the issue. UNLESS you introduce a client using a different character set. Received on Thu Aug 23 2007 - 09:02:10 CDT