Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:21:42 -0700

On Jul 16, 12:05 am, i..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:25 am, hume.spamfil..._at_bofh.ca wrote:
>
> > In comp.unix.solaris DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>
> > > The issue, as I understand it, is that Oracle says you can use these
> > > things with one caveat. If something goes wrong they will ask you to
>
> > The Oracle 10g install documents I read explicitly instructed on how to
> > set up /etc/project for use with Oracle on Solaris 10. (Projects, not
> > zones.) There were no visible caveats in the document.
>
> Apart of wrong utility (prctl) and wrong project name. They use
> project.root in the installation guide, it should be project.oracle of
> course.
>
> > Does Oracle normally direct users toward unsupportable configurations in
> > their own install documents?
>
> No, it normally doesn't. I would say, since projects are in the
> install doco it _must_ be supported.

There have been rare instances of discovering things don't in fact work and are retro-unsupported. Of course, there are not-so-rare instances of things not working through many releases, and it is so common to hear "fixed in the next release" that that is now a very old joke.

Still, my favorite that I've personally observed was the Oracle install guide for SunOS 1.2 (BSD) that had the 2.x (SYSV) instructions in it...

> > I'm asking honestly, not retorically or mockingly. Some vendors do stupid
> > things like that.

It takes a computer to make BIG misteaks. (printed on gigantic pink pearl eraser, circa 1980)

> > > As that is likely impossible, and certainly almost impossible in a
> > > timely fashion, it renders the configurations unsupported.
>
> > The traditional /etc/system changes used in previous versions of Solaris
> > still work in Solaris 10. They're just deprecated and unnecessary.
>
> While we are on this. Anybody knows why project limits seem to start
> working only after su'ing to oracle, not in the initial session?
> E.g.
> - define higher-than-default shared memory limit as part of oracle
> project
> - log in as oracle
> - try to startup database
> - startup fails (couldn't allocate shared memory) if total shared
> memory for oracle exceeds a default value
> - su - oracle (from already oracle's session)
> - do the same and instance happily starts up.
>
> What am I missing here, maybe some patching?

It's my understanding that's what the /etc/system changes workaround, I haven't touched Solaris for a long time though, just from following this at a distance.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Malicious Straight White Females.  http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,62028443,00.htm