Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:05:56 -0700

On Jul 16, 10:25 am, hume.spamfil..._at_bofh.ca wrote:
> In comp.unix.solaris DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>
> > The issue, as I understand it, is that Oracle says you can use these
> > things with one caveat. If something goes wrong they will ask you to
>
> The Oracle 10g install documents I read explicitly instructed on how to
> set up /etc/project for use with Oracle on Solaris 10. (Projects, not
> zones.) There were no visible caveats in the document.

Apart of wrong utility (prctl) and wrong project name. They use project.root in the installation guide, it should be project.oracle of course.

> Does Oracle normally direct users toward unsupportable configurations in
> their own install documents?

No, it normally doesn't. I would say, since projects are in the install doco it _must_ be supported.

> I'm asking honestly, not retorically or mockingly. Some vendors do stupid
> things like that.
>
> > As that is likely impossible, and certainly almost impossible in a
> > timely fashion, it renders the configurations unsupported.
>
> The traditional /etc/system changes used in previous versions of Solaris
> still work in Solaris 10. They're just deprecated and unnecessary.

While we are on this. Anybody knows why project limits seem to start working only after su'ing to oracle, not in the initial session? E.g.
- define higher-than-default shared memory limit as part of oracle project

- log in as oracle
- try to startup database
- startup fails (couldn't allocate shared memory) if total shared
memory for oracle exceeds a default value - su - oracle (from already oracle's session) - do the same and instance happily starts up.

What am I missing here, maybe some patching?

> --
> Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca,http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Regards,
Igor Received on Mon Jul 16 2007 - 02:05:56 CDT