Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: Roger Johnson <roger0080_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:54:35 -0500

ivl5_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:25 am, hume.spamfil..._at_bofh.ca wrote:

>> In comp.unix.solaris DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The issue, as I understand it, is that Oracle says you can use these
>>> things with one caveat. If something goes wrong they will ask you to
>> The Oracle 10g install documents I read explicitly instructed on how to
>> set up /etc/project for use with Oracle on Solaris 10.  (Projects, not
>> zones.)  There were no visible caveats in the document.

> Apart of wrong utility (prctl) and wrong project name. They use
> project.root in the installation guide, it should be project.oracle of
> course.
>
>> Does Oracle normally direct users toward unsupportable configurations in
>> their own install documents?

> No, it normally doesn't. I would say, since projects are in the
> install doco it _must_ be supported.
>
>> I'm asking honestly, not retorically or mockingly.  Some vendors do stupid
>> things like that.
>>
>>> As that is likely impossible, and certainly almost impossible in a
>>> timely fashion, it renders the configurations unsupported.
>> The traditional /etc/system changes used in previous versions of Solaris
>> still work in Solaris 10.  They're just deprecated and unnecessary.

> While we are on this. Anybody knows why project limits seem to start
> working only after su'ing to oracle, not in the initial session?
> E.g.
> - define higher-than-default shared memory limit as part of oracle
> project
> - log in as oracle
> - try to startup database
> - startup fails (couldn't allocate shared memory) if total shared
> memory for oracle exceeds a default value
> - su - oracle (from already oracle's session)
> - do the same and instance happily starts up.
>
> What am I missing here, maybe some patching?

Assign the oracle user a special default project: projadd -U oracle -K "project.max-shm-memory=(priv,2048MB,deny)" user.oracle

This works, but from the man pages it sounds like you are suppose to be able to assign a user a default project upon login using usermod (?) after the fact, resulting in the same effect, but I couldn't get it to work until stumbling accros this guys post.

Here is the link that the code snippet come from: http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5074218&start=0&tstart=0