Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:27:34 -0500

"Steve Howard" <> wrote in message
> On Jul 11, 9:20 pm, "Bob Jones" <e..._at_me.not> wrote:
>> There is no such a thing as "too comprehensive". The manuals are divided
>> into topics which contain chapters. It is really quite easy to read. OP
>> will
>> have much better chances to find answers from the manuals than a book or
>> many books.
> This is where the it kind of falls out, though. For some people, it
> may be too much to start. The analogy I would give is that I can
> probably find out what "Fibromatosis gingival hypertrichosis" is a
> fourth year medical text, but for me, it is easier to Google it first,
> or read "Diseases for dummies", and then work my way up. I also
> prefer Haynes/Chilton manuals to Ford shop manuals, because quite
> frankly, I'm not that good an auto mechanic.

Too much to start? Just to look at SQL and PL/SQL? It will even be more at the bookstores. If you are just a beginner, how do you know what to Google for. Even you do, you will only find a piece here and a piece there. A total waste of time.

> I'm not saying that the manuals aren't a better start for you or
> someone else, nor am I saying anything by Tom Kyte should *absolutely*
> be the first thing read. I think it depends on the learning style.
> Sometimes, books are better at hand holding for newbies, other times,
> it's not necessary. It totally depends on the individual (something I
> didn't learn until I was almost 30, unfortunately).

Books like "Oracle for dummies"? How about "Brain surgery for dummies"? Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 20:27:34 CDT

Original text of this message