Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:08:17 -0000

On Jul 11, 9:20 pm, "Bob Jones" <e..._at_me.not> wrote:

> There is no such a thing as "too comprehensive". The manuals are divided
> into topics which contain chapters. It is really quite easy to read. OP will
> have much better chances to find answers from the manuals than a book or
> many books.

This is where the it kind of falls out, though. For some people, it may be too much to start. The analogy I would give is that I can probably find out what "Fibromatosis gingival hypertrichosis" is a fourth year medical text, but for me, it is easier to Google it first, or read "Diseases for dummies", and then work my way up. I also prefer Haynes/Chilton manuals to Ford shop manuals, because quite frankly, I'm not that good an auto mechanic.

I'm not saying that the manuals aren't a better start for you or someone else, nor am I saying anything by Tom Kyte should *absolutely* be the first thing read. I think it depends on the learning style. Sometimes, books are better at hand holding for newbies, other times, it's not necessary. It totally depends on the individual (something I didn't learn until I was almost 30, unfortunately).

Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 11:08:17 CDT