Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: <rogergorden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:32:52 -0700

On Jul 12, 5:57 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:40:34 +0200, Alexander Skwar
>
> <use..._at_alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
> >Clarification: When I have everything back, _that_ _I_ _care_ _about_.
>
> EVERYTHING=EVERYTHING=EVERYTHING=EVERYTHING.
> EVERY INDIVIDUAL INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE.
> MAYBE YOUR USERS WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU WHICH *THEY* CARE ABOUT.
> IT WON'T BE A PLEASANT TALK, OBVIOUSLY.
> WHY ARE YOU ADMINISTERING A DATABASE WHICH IS *THEIR* DATA IN THE
> FIRST PLACE, AND NOT *YOURS*?
>
> --
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Me: Have you ever had to do media recovery on a restored datafile?

You: No.

Then you cannot call yourself a DBA. Period.

You: I'm a slow learner, though. Could you please explain to me the last question:

>>From where does RMAN/Oracle
>>pull the data about what has been done between 22:46 and 22:59,
>>if archive logs aren't available?

If that's somehow possible, then you really got me hooked on RMAN. I don't have the time nor the space to explain how to properly do a backup and restore here.
Since you don't know this you aren't qualified to sit in the DBA's seat much less push any of the buttons or steer even if you can touch the pedals and see over the steering wheel. Sorry. You are going to cause your company and yourself a world of hurt someday and hopefully someone in management will be shown the door as well for allowing you to place your company's data in such incapable hands. This goes much deeper than the semantics of defining the word "backup". This goes right to the issue of management paying good money for accountants, lawyers, marketers, and then simply not caring about the data as it's all a big mystery and that anyone who can write sql can be a DBA. Wrong.

Roger Gorden
Sr. DBA Skila Corp. Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 20:32:52 CDT