Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:10:16 +0200

· Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:

> Where would you import it into?

Into a newly created and otherwise empty database.

> That is one major difference between backups and exports.
>
> Backups can be restored, recovered and everything is hunky-dory.

Understood.

> Exports (or any logical backup) must be read *into* something.
> What if that something is gone?

Recreate. It's a matter of size and SLA if that's a doable approach. For multi TB DBs with 5×9 requirements, it's most certainly not a doable approach. But for such a tiny DB like mine, it would be okay.

But in reality, I take a cold backup of the complete system and have the EXP just as a "luxury".

Alexander Skwar

--
"What George Washington did for us was to throw out the British, so that we
wouldn't have a fat, insensitive government running our country. Nice try