Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:01:57 +0200

ยท sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:52:09 +0200, Alexander Skwar
> <alexander_at_skwar.name> wrote:
>

>>> Having to create a new database to restore data from an .dmp
>>> file proves that exp is not a backup.
>>
>>Why is it not a backup? The recreated database contains then all
>>the data which has been imported - and that is all the data that
>>has been EXPorted at some certain time, isn't it?
>>
>>Alexander Skwar

> Sorry to ask, but are you unable to read or are you just too stupid to
> understand

Neither. But can you also ask in a nice way, without trying to insult someone? And could you maybe also try to help, instead of trying to attack me personally?

> exp is essentially a series of INSERT statements, and NOT a
> *physical* backup (if you don't understand the difference between
> 'physical' and 'logical' please look up those words in a dictionary),
> and you will *LOOSE* (I repeat L O O S E) ALL (I repeat A L L)
> Transactions made after your export?

Of course you loose everything after the export. That's a given. But when you import an exp dump, you get everything back, that's in the exp dump, don't you?

Alexander Skwar

--
A lifetime isn't nearly long enough to figure out what it's all about.