Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: J <jdferron_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:45:11 -0000

On Jul 6, 6:45 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 6, 5:00 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > > Since the OP is concerned about writing SQL I suspect the OP is more
> > > of a developer than a DBA and as such I would suggest starting with
> > > the Oracle Application Developers Guide - Fundamentals instead of
> > > Concepts. This manual covers many of the topics found in Concepts and
> > > DBA Administration but with more emphasis on using rather than
> > > managing the objects.
>
> > Good point Mark. I'd still emphasize reading in the Concepts manual
> > about concurrency, consistency and locking, since those are likely to
> > be things where a t-sql person would have to unlearn inappropriate
> > habits.
>
> No argument.
>

> > > Tom's Book is very good but I think Tom expects you to be familiar
> > > with Oracle and PL/SQL since it is not a primer on SQL or PL/SQL so I
> > > would suggest reviewing the first few chapters of the SQL manual which
> > > cover the Oracle provided functions like to_date, to_char, upper(_),
> > > etc... and then reading the PL/SQL manual before reading a book.
>
> > It's not a primer, but it does explain in detail the subjects I
> > mentioned above, for all the leading rdbms's, so it's likely to give a
> > t-sql person something to latch onto - and he may even learn why he
> > used to do things that he thought were just the way things were done.
> > And of course, being able to follow along worked examples may be
> > better than a primer for an experienced person.
>
> Bingo. Maybe Mark is thinking of one of the ( many ) other Tom Kyte
> books.
>
> There is actually very little oracle specific sql or plsql in the
> foundation ( thru chapter 9 if memory serves ) chapters.
>

> > Whatever works for the OP, anyhow. I'm sure iterating through all the
> > suggestions would be best. I have mixed feelings about cookbooks -
> > I've found them very helpful at times, yet I can understand they might
> > foster bad habits. Haven't seen the one batso mentioned.
>
> Well we can have high hopes for the OP but anyone who starts posting
> with the idea that they want "one" oracle book ... well that's not
> realistic or even relevant to me.

Guys,

I'm not a developer or a DBA. I'm a Business Analyst. I need a book that will keep me some concepts that are new to Oracle and lot of syntax/differences between transact sql and pl/sql. I understand databases fairly well for not being a DBA of any sort. I need a book that will teach me how to extract data out of the server by querying it. Received on Sun Jul 08 2007 - 11:45:11 CDT