Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:51:03 -0700

On Jul 8, 9:45 am, J <jdfer..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Good point Mark. I'd still emphasize reading in the Concepts manual
> > > about concurrency, consistency and locking, since those are likely to
> > > be things where a t-sql person would have to unlearn inappropriate
> > > habits.
>
> > No argument.

> > > It's not a primer, but it does explain in detail the subjects I
> > > mentioned above, for all the leading rdbms's, so it's likely to give a
> > > t-sql person something to latch onto - and he may even learn why he
> > > used to do things that he thought were just the way things were done.
> > > And of course, being able to follow along worked examples may be
> > > better than a primer for an experienced person.
>
> > Bingo. Maybe Mark is thinking of one of the ( many ) other Tom Kyte
> > books.
>
> > There is actually very little oracle specific sql or plsql in the
> > foundation ( thru chapter 9 if memory serves ) chapters.
>
> > > Whatever works for the OP, anyhow. I'm sure iterating through all the
> > > suggestions would be best. I have mixed feelings about cookbooks -
> > > I've found them very helpful at times, yet I can understand they might
> > > foster bad habits. Haven't seen the one batso mentioned.
>
> > Well we can have high hopes for the OP but anyone who starts posting
> > with the idea that they want "one" oracle book ... well that's not
> > realistic or even relevant to me.
>
> Guys,
>
> I'm not a developer or a DBA. I'm a Business Analyst. I need a book
> that will keep me some concepts that are new to Oracle and lot of
> syntax/differences between transact sql and pl/sql. I understand
> databases fairly well for not being a DBA of any sort. I need a book
> that will teach me how to extract data out of the server by querying
> it

You might poke about on the various blogs available:

http://otnsemanticweb.oracle.com/blogs.jsp
http://blogs.oracle.com/
http://www.orablogs.com/orablogs/

If there isn't one that gets you going, maybe you should start your own, so others who follow in your path can learn as you do.

Not what you are asking, but interesting for analysts: http://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.