Re: ORA-01194

From: <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:24:13 -0700

On Jun 27, 7:21 pm, markg22..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> SunOS 5.8
> ORACLE 8.1.7
>
> We have a test database that we created from an OS copy of our
> production database. The copy is not perfect, but for what we need
> to test, it is sufficient.
> When starting the database, we get:
>
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open resetlogs
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u02/oradata...'
>
> Is there a way to force the database open ?
> Again, for our purposes, even if the data is inconsistent, we can
> still
> test our application.
>
> Thank you.

How did you take this "OS copy" ? While the database was still running ? Then i'm afraid your backup will be inconsistent. For a cold backup, you should completely shutdown the database before taking the OS copy. If you want to take a copy while the database is still running, you will have to put the tablespaces in hot backup mode before you take a backup of the datafiles.

Matthias Received on Thu Jun 28 2007 - 04:24:13 CDT