Re: Oracle 10g R2 RHEL 5 When?

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 28 Jun 2007 09:15:32 GMT

HansF <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 1:22 pm, Jack <jrsc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:

>> I get the definite feeling that Linux is not Oracle's forte. It is
>> overly sensitive to the shared libraries.

> You are absolutely right.

What is meant by 'it'?
Linux is sensitive to its shared libraries? Oracle is sensitive to Linux' shared libraries?

Anyway, both is unavoidable. How can you NOT be sensitive to changes or bugs in library functions you are using?

> It would be sooo much better for Oracle to take a copy of the required
> public libraries, place them in non-standard directories, keep them
> totally static, and maintain bug fixes in parallel with the library
> maintainers.
>
> Or perhaps Oracle should simply duplicate the functionality of the
> public libraries and maintain that at their own cost ... since people
> obviously would not want to pay for the duplicate effort.

In both cases the effort Oracle would have to make is tremendous. *If* they would consider something like that, the best thing would be to make their own Linux distribution (I'm not speaking of Oracle Enterprise Linux here which is just a RedHat clone which exists solely to put RedHat under pressure).

> Or perhaps Oracle should simply make reference to the required
> libraries in their documentation and hope that people would read that
> before attempting to install and run.

... and lose RedHat support right away because they replace system libraries.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Thu Jun 28 2007 - 04:15:32 CDT