Re: Oracle on NetApp 3020

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:00:41 -0400

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:41:15 -0400, NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have good performance on this device via NFS?
>
>We never ran Oracle on NFS, but we could not push this device (oracle
>on fully populated disk shelve) further than 30megs per second.. On
>non-jumbo VLAN it seems to perform better.. NetApp support was fairly
>useless so far.

perhaps I should provide more detail
the RAID is whatever proprietory RAID NetApp runs across a shelve of disks (14)
the host is a Sun V890 running Sol 10 with all NetApp req'd patches from doc 3369.pdf (Network Appliance Best practice Guidelines for Oracle).
the network is gigE with Jumbo frames
the mount options are all NetApp recommended, including forcedirectio (although in dd, and sio(NetApp IO tool) tests non-directio performed worse)
the databases are 9i and 10g, they perform equally bad.. The bottleneck is IO with waits ranging from 14 to 27ms, and old NetApp had apparently about 4ms.. The db is really not that IO intensive.

The hosts were able to push 60 megs to a different NFS (Linux)

-a
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 23:00:41 CDT