Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC server side load balancing

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:28:35 -0700

On Jun 17, 2:58 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >> How do you use Pro*C and not use OCI?

> >> Depends on whether your application is coded properly: We don't know.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > 1. PRO*C is PRO*C - not sure whether Oracle pre-compiles it into OCI
> > calls.
>
> Are you seriously going to state that you wrote code in a tool without
> determining what that tool is and does? April first was two months ago.
> I thought it was only VB programmers that did that.
>
> > 2. What do you mean applicaion is coded properly. I did not see
> > anywwhere information that code has to be written in a certain way.
>
> Not to be harsh but given your response to #1, above, I am not surprised.
>
> > I am not utilizing TAF or OFN (?) events, simily making database
> > connections ... I will think that one should not require any code
> > changes at all.
>
> OFN? Do you mean FCF or ONS? Either way load balancing is done at the
> listener layer. Failover is done by TAF and FCF.
>
> I am totally perplexed that anyone let you near an Oracle RAC cluster
> with a tool like Pro*C and not a byte of understanding of what it is
> you are messing with.
>
> Did your CTO make a bet on whether Oracle is unbreakable?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b28759/configwlm.htm

This link dicusses Server Side Load balancing (that's what I am interested) and Run Time Load Balacing (which is also Server Side Load Balancing). Second one mentions about OCI, ODP,NET and JDBC ...

I am assiming first one will work without requiring any code changes. Received on Sun Jun 17 2007 - 15:28:35 CDT