Re: Myth of the database independent applications (Was: Are you using PL/SQL)

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 May 2007 11:10:01 -0500

On 27 May 2007, zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Thre etier arcjitecture is "standard" as well as good architecture
> because it separates UI, Buisness Logic and database. UI only does UT,
> database only stores data ad busines slogic does the rest.

This architecture sounds all fine and dandy, but holds alot of mirky questions. What are your definitions of business logic? Do you have definitions of another term, called data logic? The data logic needs to be in the database, not in the application tier. The murky waters is that this "standard" architecture doesn't recognize that there are alot of components that "smell like" business logic which should be handled in the database. These components are what I would term data logic.

> UI runs on WIndows Server, Database and Business Logic on UNIX
> server. We recommend memorie sof 4GB on Windows Server and same for
> UNIX server.
>
> Our applications only run with Oracle database. As I explained eralier
> our developers are Object-Oriented developers they do not want to use
> PL/SQL for business logic because one cannot reuse any of business
> logic written in C++.

Why should one care what the developers "want" to do? If you try to do everything in the app tier, you will fail. At some point you have to write specifically for the database you are accessing. The sooner you just alot for it and put it on the balance sheet the better the end product will be.

--
Galen Boyer