Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 May 2007 11:01:02 -0500

On Sat, 26 May 2007, mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:40:02 -0500, Galen Boyer wrote:
>

>> Then, behind the interfaces of procs, the database professionals for
>> that platform use all of that database's features at their disposal.
>> The schema itself can be a bit different on each platform if needed.

> The problem is in the fact that the vendors of "database independent
> applications" are usually trying to cut down costs and are developing
> applications typically on MySQL or SQL server and have little or no
> resources for other databases. Unfortunately, things developed and
> tested on 10 user configurations frequently fail on 1000 user
> configurations and there is the heart of the problem. Database is not
> a commodity yet, state of technology doesn't allow that.

I don't see how it will become that way, at least, not in my lifetime. For all the companies I've ever worked for, the data was the only thing that actually mattered and applications were secondary. Database independence is usually not much of a concern.

Database independence is really only a term for external vendors of products that have database's as a component.

> Database will become a commodity when a GPL-ed database like
> PostgreSQL is able to handle 1000 concurrent users without a problem,
> with all kinds of high availability technologies, like replication and
> clustering.

The way I've heard it described, PostgreSQL already does.

--
Galen Boyer