Re: administrative rights to Windows Server

From: Anthony <akkha1234_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 May 2007 17:44:41 -0700

Interesting. We probably have different job requirements and maybe even definition of DBA.

I go to the event log to retrieve any oracle-related events (Please refer to page6-6 of Oracle Documentation Platform Guide for Windows (32-bit)). I need to check the disk and the filesizes/timestamps of my database files time and again. At least to assure me that there is enough disk space. I also need to get to oracle alert log every day and sometimes oracle trace log when doing performance tuning. I guess ensuring the database running smoothly is part of duties of DBAs.

I schedule tasks. I do not think Oracle jobs can do everything I need efficiently. Jobs like export, extraction of data to another system etc., running sql*report (not sql plus).

I cannot do any of this once administrative rights are revoked on a windows platform without the SA "messing" around the system.

How about you? Do you need to do any of them? If not, what do you as an DBA? Received on Wed May 23 2007 - 19:44:41 CDT