Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 May 2007 14:38:22 -0700

On May 15, 5:30 pm, Ronny <nitely..._at_ist-einmalig.de> wrote:
> > Possibly because archivelogs are in the MB size range and backup
> > pieces can be 2 or more GB in size. I'd hate to put SQL*Net to that
> > stress test given all it's doing now.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> David,
>
> the volume of network traffic is nearly the same, if using SQL*Net,
> scp, ftp, NFS or some other tool. Oracle always describes its software
> to be highly scalable. SQL*Net when used in conjunction with "imp",
> "exp", Data-Pump and SQL*Loader makes no problems, even if transfering
> large amounts (2 GB and more) of data. It appears to me that network
> load is not the reason why.
>
> Ronny

I don't think "size matters" in this case. All it matters is that there is no "oracle" running on the target before instantiating the standby and you cannot instantiate it until you get the files over - chicken and egg type of thing - therefore "nobody" can handle the files. Keep in mind that local processes cannot access remote resources unless they are made local at the O/S level. Received on Tue May 15 2007 - 16:38:22 CDT