Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: Ronny <nitelyjoy_at_ist-einmalig.de>
Date: 15 May 2007 15:15:16 -0700

> All it matters is that
> there is no "oracle" running on the target before instantiating the
> standby and you cannot instantiate it until you get the files over -
> chicken and egg type of thing - therefore "nobody" can handle the
> files. Keep in mind that local processes cannot access remote
> resources unless they are made local at the O/S level.

I don't see a chicken and egg situation here: The standby database is started in "nomount" state, when you execute "rman target / auxiliary sys/change_on_install_at_STANDBY" on primary site. The "rman" process can access the local backup pieces on primary site and is connected via SQL*Net to the standby site. The standby database (being in "nomount" state) can read and write all files on remote site which OS user "oracle" (or which one you configured) is allowed to read and write. For example, it can write to the standby's alert.log. Received on Tue May 15 2007 - 17:15:16 CDT