Re: shutdown oracle automatically when stopping services

From: Anthony <akkha1234_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2007 12:20:25 -0700

> assuming ora_shutdowntype has been set to "i" for immediate, if
> shutdown doesn't occur within ora_sid_shutdown_timeout seconds, a
> shutdown abort is executed.
> Shutdown aborts are not recorded in the alert.
> They will show however upon a subsequent startup by referring to
> 'crash recovery'.
> You should probably increase the ora_sid_shutdown_timeout in that
> case.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I do not think this is the reason. The timeout is set to 30s. I mentioned the stopping of the service just takes about 1 sec. Upon restart, the alert log is as follows which is conflicting. The database waa shutdown and reopened at 19:11 last night.

I stopped the service at about 11 am this morning and restart the service (which starts the database automatically) at about 12pm. If the database is shutdown aborted with no logs written, then upon restart, it should not say starting normal, right? Apparently, this is not the case.

SMON: enabling tx recovery
Thu May 03 19:11:09 2007
Database Characterset is WE8ISO8859P1
replication_dependency_tracking turned off (no async multimaster replication found)
Completed: alter database open
Dump file d:\oracle\admin\pktest\bdump\alert_pktest.log Fri May 04 12:08:08 2007
ORACLE V9.2.0.5.0 - Production vsnsta=0
vsnsql=12 vsnxtr=3
Windows 2000 Version 5.2 Service Pack 1, CPU type 586 Fri May 04 12:08:08 2007
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
Fri May 04 12:08:08 2007
Running with 1 strand for Non-Enterprise Edition LICENSE_MAX_SESSION = 0
LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING = 0 Received on Fri May 04 2007 - 14:20:25 CDT