Re: shutdown oracle automatically when stopping services

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 20:43:21 +0200

On 4 May 2007 11:01:16 -0700, Anthony <akkha1234_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>We have multiple microsoft boxes with mulitple oracle instances.
>All of them are set to automatically startup and shutdown upon
>starting/stopping the related oracle services. There is one or two
>refused to be shutdown properly when I stop the service.
>At least nothing is written to the alert log and the service stops too
>fast to be true.
>I looked at all the registry settings. Looks okay with
>ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN, ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT and ORA_SHUTDOWNTYPE set
>properly. What other factor would need to take into account.
>We have only one ORACLE_HOME for this box. So multiple ORACLE HOME
>directory is not a concern.
>
>Thanks for any idea.

assuming ora_shutdowntype has been set to "i" for immediate, if shutdown doesn't occur within ora_sid_shutdown_timeout seconds, a shutdown abort is executed.
Shutdown aborts are not recorded in the alert. They will show however upon a subsequent startup by referring to 'crash recovery'.
You should probably increase the ora_sid_shutdown_timeout in that case.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA