Re: 10gR2 install on Kubuntu Stuck at 4%

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:09:47 -0700

cloneofsnake wrote:
> Hi
>
> Trying my first Oracle install here. I followed this guide -
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/install/files/oracle-database-10gr2-kubuntu-dapper.txt
> and when it started installing, it was stuck at 3%. The "Installation
> in progress" check mark is moving, yet it's obviously not going
> anywhere.
>
> Next, I followed this guide - http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/52 ,
> double checked everything, kept the installation folders as provided
> in the first guide, added the "/etc/redhat-release" file with "Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)" in it. Run install. Every
> check passed, but still stuck at 4%, not moving!
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
>
> I downloaded 10.2.0.1.0 zip for Linux x86 on Oracle's website,
> installing on an AMD 2500+ w/ 512MB or RAM.
>
> Thanks!

Neither is sufficient unless you are also following the Oracle installation guide. Here's a quick review of things you needed to do (based on RedHat 4 Upd2 AS):

/usr/sbin/groupadd oinstall
/usr/sbin/groupadd dba
/usr/sbin/useradd -m -g oinstall -G dba oracle
passwd oracle
mkdir -p /app/oracle
chown -R oracle:dba /app/oracle
chmod -R 775 /app/oracle

vi /etc/sysctl.conf ... set kernel params
  /sbin/sysctl -p
vi /etc/security/limits.conf ... modify limits
vi /etc/pam.d/login ... modify login
vi /etc/profile ... set ulimit and umask
vi /etc/hosts ... set IP addresses
vi /home/oracle/.bashrc (or) .bash_profile ... set environ vars login as oracle
./runInstaller

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan