Re: 10g to RAC - what to do to avoid data duplication ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:03:25 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:02:27 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> ASM is a license requiremen for the implementation of RAC with Standard
>> Edition.
>>
>> Telling people they probably don't need it might lead some to violate
>> their license.

> That is true, but the people running RAC with standard edition definitely
> do not need RAC.

I completely disagree. Why this attitude from both you, and to some extent Oracle, that people using SE don't need high availability? Is this some kind of anti-SE prejudice? You don't need MAA unless you have deep pockets?

Just because someone doesn't need the full feature set of EE does not mean they don't need to eliminate the server as a single point of failure (or a DR site).

I know a number of organizations that use SE RAC clusters to support their Grid Control OMR. Can you think of a single reason why they would want to go to EE? A single reason why they wouldn't want to invest a bit of effort in making sure the Grid is always up?

I sure can't.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington