Client tools suggestion for 8.1.7

From: <vancouvercancun_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 10:57:33 -0700

Hi
I have an Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows server with Net8 Rel3 installed on a Win NT 4.0 server computer. This server is due to be migrated to the latest Oracle release early 2008. In the meantime, I want to install a local client on my Win XP SP2 computer that will allow me to make queries on the Oracle 8.1.7 server through SQL*Net. I hesitate to install 8.1.7 tools and wonder if it would be doable to install recent releases like Oracle 10g Express instead.  Is it possible to install Oracle 10g Express on my computer to access an old 8.1.7 server ? Is this a recommended approach ? Is there any other recommended way ? Is there a Oracle web site section devoted to version interoperability ?
Anybody has a suggestion ?
Thanks for your help
Van Received on Mon Apr 23 2007 - 12:57:33 CDT