Re: Client tools suggestion for 8.1.7

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 12:52:44 -0700

On Apr 23, 10:57 am, vancouvercan..._at_yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hi
> I have an Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows server with Net8 Rel3 installed on a
> Win NT 4.0 server computer. This server is due to be migrated to the
> latest Oracle release early 2008. In the meantime, I want to install a
> local client on my Win XP SP2 computer that will allow me to make
> queries on the Oracle 8.1.7 server through SQL*Net. I hesitate to
> install 8.1.7 tools and wonder if it would be doable to install recent
> releases like Oracle 10g Express instead.
> Is it possible to install Oracle 10g Express on my computer to access
> an old 8.1.7 server ? Is this a recommended approach ? Is there any
> other recommended way ? Is there a Oracle web site section devoted to
> version interoperability ?
> Anybody has a suggestion ?
> Thanks for your help
> Van

There is a matrix on metalink.oracle.com (click on the Certify tab). It varies which XP bitsize you have. Note:202139.1 is the general client release notes. Note:280874.1 is the general note for SP2.

In general, you can go one release up or down. So I'd recommend the 9i for your computer. See Note:207303.1which notes that 10.2 client to 8.1.7 server was supported, when the latter was supported. This might be the matrix you had in mind.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"The mind is alert, but the body forgets.  Now, what was it I going to