Re: Restoring Oracle 9.0.1 database from original files (server was rebuilt)

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 5 Mar 2007 17:23:42 -0800

On Mar 5, 7:01 pm, sandoval...._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Here's my issue ... our database server was rebuilt but all the
> original files were backed up before the server was rebuilt. The
> server was shutdown correctly so I'm not worried about a bad shutdown
> but I've never done this before. It's on a Windows2000 box. I've
> reconfigured the server to the same way it was before, but I'm unsure
> which files and I should exclude and/or include to get the box running
> the way it was before.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to an article that outlines
> how to do this? I'm more a developer than DBA, but I set up the
> original box and it ran great.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Define 'all the original files'. If these include your controlfiles you should be set, and if you've also backed up the redo logs you can eliminate restoring those; an 'alter database open resetlogs;' will recreate those for you.

On Windows you don't have a nice, easy path to restoring your database as you'll need to create services for the listener and your instance, and possibly other Oracle services as well. The oradim utility will help with that chore, but you'll need to reference the documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com to understand how to go about such a task (it's been quite a while since I have done so, and it was on 8.1.6 and I'm certain some aspects of that task have changed since I last performed them).

Possibly others here have done this same thing on Windows, and can provide more 'light' than I have in this post. I apologise for not offering more advice, I simply won't provide instructions when I cannot verify they are correct.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Mar 05 2007 - 19:23:42 CST