Re: Need help with OAS and DB

From: learner <Zabaloch_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2007 10:48:38 -0800

On Feb 26, 12:36 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> learner schreef:> Hey All experts,
> > I am a Sun System admin and recently I was assigned a task to upgrade
> > an Oracle 8.1.7.4 DB to Oracle 10g. We have a DBA and she will be
> > doing most of the Import/Export stuff which I am not aware of exactly.
> > My questions are that as a System What Do I have to in order to
> > Install OAS and Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 10 servers?
> > We have a two tier environment and the OAS will be installed on a Sun
> > V490 server and it will be talking to Oracle DB sitting on an E2900?
> > How do I make these two pieces of software talk to each other from
> > Oracle perspective?
> > Can some one help me with the installation of both OAS and Oracle DB?
> > Thanks a million to all.
>
> As the DBA to set up the 10g Database - she ought to know what to
> look out for, as she knows (should...) the old system. If you're
> involved into configuring the V490 - use SAME (Stripe And Mirror
> Everything, or RAID 01) for your disks.
> The application server (I sure hope you have 10g release 2 or better)
> "talks" to the database by means of a network (duh...). Most
> configurations have no more than hostname of the db server, port
> on which the db listener operates (1521 by default) and SID - the
> System Identifier of you database.
>
> Some elements may require the TN Substrate (SQL*Net) to be configured,
> but I cannot name an example - even mod_plsql accepts the host:port:sid
> notation
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Thanks for the help Frank,
The problem is hat she is not familiar with the UNIX OS and I am not familiar with the Oracle DB or OAS. I know that installation of any software is fairly stright forward and self explanatory. My understanding is that when I would do the installation Oracle DB or OAS will ask me netowrk information.
Any ideas on third party softwares accessing the DB how we do that? Is it the same netowrk infor required?
Thanks Received on Mon Feb 26 2007 - 12:48:38 CST