Re: Need help with OAS and DB

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:36:32 +0100

learner schreef:
> Hey All experts,
> I am a Sun System admin and recently I was assigned a task to upgrade
> an Oracle 8.1.7.4 DB to Oracle 10g. We have a DBA and she will be
> doing most of the Import/Export stuff which I am not aware of exactly.
> My questions are that as a System What Do I have to in order to
> Install OAS and Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 10 servers?
> We have a two tier environment and the OAS will be installed on a Sun
> V490 server and it will be talking to Oracle DB sitting on an E2900?
> How do I make these two pieces of software talk to each other from
> Oracle perspective?
> Can some one help me with the installation of both OAS and Oracle DB?
> Thanks a million to all.

As the DBA to set up the 10g Database - she ought to know what to look out for, as she knows (should...) the old system. If you're involved into configuring the V490 - use SAME (Stripe And Mirror Everything, or RAID 01) for your disks.
The application server (I sure hope you have 10g release 2 or better) "talks" to the database by means of a network (duh...). Most configurations have no more than hostname of the db server, port on which the db listener operates (1521 by default) and SID - the System Identifier of you database.

Some elements may require the TN Substrate (SQL*Net) to be configured, but I cannot name an example - even mod_plsql accepts the host:port:sid notation

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...