Re: Need help with OAS and DB

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 26 Feb 2007 19:34:04 GMT

"learner" <Zabaloch_at_gmail.com> wrote in

> On Feb 26, 12:36 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> learner schreef:> Hey All experts,
>> > I am a Sun System admin and recently I was assigned a task to
>> > upgrade an Oracle 8.1.7.4 DB to Oracle 10g. We have a DBA and she
>> > will be doing most of the Import/Export stuff which I am not aware
>> > of exactly. My questions are that as a System What Do I have to in
>> > order to Install OAS and Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 10 servers?
>> > We have a two tier environment and the OAS will be installed on a
>> > Sun V490 server and it will be talking to Oracle DB sitting on an
>> > E2900? How do I make these two pieces of software talk to each
>> > other from Oracle perspective?
>> > Can some one help me with the installation of both OAS and Oracle
>> > DB? Thanks a million to all.
>>
>> As the DBA to set up the 10g Database - she ought to know what to
>> look out for, as she knows (should...) the old system.
[snip]
>> Some elements may require the TN Substrate (SQL*Net) to be
>> configured, but I cannot name an example
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Frank van Bortel
>>
>> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

> Thanks for the help Frank,
> The problem is hat she is not familiar with the UNIX OS and I am not
> familiar with the Oracle DB or OAS. I know that installation of any
> software is fairly stright forward and self explanatory. My
> understanding is that when I would do the installation Oracle DB or
> OAS will ask me netowrk information.
> Any ideas on third party softwares accessing the DB how we do that?
> Is it the same netowrk infor required?
> Thanks

learner,
All of the Oracle networking setup is saved in a few text files in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin During the install, or when you run the Network Configuration Assistant, these files will be created: sqlnet.ora tnsnames.ora
You already have these files for Oracle8i and they are mostly compatible with Oracle10g.

Almost all third party software programs use these to get to the Oracle database. No other configuration is usually needed.