Re: statspack comment is needed

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:18:35 -0000

55.45 minutes is about 3,500 seconds.

db file sequential read is slow - and given you are apparently only doing about 25 per second you seem to have an I/O oddity to get times this slow. Of course, if you are running RAC the other instance may be crippling the I/O subsystem.

Global cache busy is the cross-instance RAC equivalent of buffer busy waits. This suggests there may be problems with moving popular blocks back and forth too much - but it could be exacerbated by slow I/Os ("read by other session (in other instance maybe)".

Log file sync suggest lots of commits - but since this is a RAC system, it may be a side-effect of excess global cache transfers - Oracle has to flush the buffer when it sends a block from one instance to another.

You need to check WHICH latches are getting most of the sleeps as it may be cache buffers chains - which would corroborate the global cache activity, but it might be something else.

The high CPU may be associated with excess local buffer activity or excess cross-instance chat.

Bottom line - you might be working too hard, your discs might be very slow, or you might be doing too much cross-instance block transfer.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com