Re: Index based database?

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:15:10 +0000

In message <1166110172.104499.291490_at_80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>, EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com> writes
>The tables are not narrow.
>Example 27 col table has 26 single column indexes.
>
>Still normal?
>

>Jim Smith wrote:
>> In message <1166109023.164657.84250_at_l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>,
>> EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com> writes
>> >I've seen this a few times since getting into Warehousing, but I need a
>> >sanity check.
>> >
>> >How often has anyone seen the total INDEX bytes exceed DATA bytes,
>> >meaning I have more data stored in standard indexes, not index
>> >organized tables, than regular heap tables.
>> >
>> It is not unusual.
>>
>> Given the rowid overhead in an index, if the table is quite narrow a
>> single index could easily be larger than the table. If you have multiple
>> indexes the total index space could be several times the size of the
>> table.
>> --
>> Jim Smith
>> Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>
>> RSS <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/atom.xml>

Please don't top post.

You are querying the number of indexes rather than the total size, which was how I read it in the first place.

26 indexes seems over the top, but if it is a data warehouse fact table with foreign keys to dimension tables perhaps they are justified.

The only real test is - does it perform well?