Re: Installing ASM...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 6 Dec 2006 10:04:12 -0800

Volker Hetzer wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to install ASM (10.2.0.1) on a Linux RH 4 machine.
> The installation itself went moderately well (had to install
> some additional packages, but no errors after that) but
> now the dbca has accumulated about 4 hours of CPU time
> for creating the ASM instance.
> Is this normal?
> I've got a dual core INTEL processor, and ASM has got
> one 17GB disk.
> One strange thing, this time I tried to use asmlib,
> created the disk all right but during the install
> the disk didn't show up with ORCL:* or <> (nothing)
> as discovery path. Instead I had to specify /dev/*
> for it to show up.
> I would have liked for the installer to recognize
> the disk as shown in the documentation.

No it doesn't sound normal to me.

I am not so far a great fan of ASM ( not big on v1 or v2 software anyway ) but logically it provides many of the functions that a volume manager can ( combining disks, striping, mirroring etc ).

ASM is not going to be a performance improvement on a system with 1 disk. Received on Wed Dec 06 2006 - 12:04:12 CST