Re: Installing ASM...

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:24:55 +0100

hpuxrac schrieb:

> Volker Hetzer wrote:

>> Hi!
>> I'm trying to install ASM (10.2.0.1) on a Linux RH 4 machine.
>> The installation itself went moderately well (had to install
>> some additional packages, but no errors after that) but
>> now the dbca has accumulated about 4 hours of CPU time
>> for creating the ASM instance.
>> Is this normal?
>> I've got a dual core INTEL processor, and ASM has got
>> one 17GB disk.
>> One strange thing, this time I tried to use asmlib,
>> created the disk all right but during the install
>> the disk didn't show up with ORCL:* or <> (nothing)
>> as discovery path. Instead I had to specify /dev/*
>> for it to show up.
>> I would have liked for the installer to recognize
>> the disk as shown in the documentation.
>>

> No it doesn't sound normal to me.
>
> I am not so far a great fan of ASM ( not big on v1 or v2 software
> anyway ) but logically it provides many of the functions that a volume
> manager can ( combining disks, striping, mirroring etc ).
>
> ASM is not going to be a performance improvement on a system with 1
> disk.

True. The point is that we had absolutely no problems with it on our other database and we'd like to keep the structures comparable. Also, I don't have to bother about data file sizes and large file systems. I wanted to use asmlib this time round because it is heavily recommended by oracle. If there are no problems, I'd have liked to switch to asmlib for the other database too, when upgrading to 10.2.0.3.

Anyway, I'll open a TAR now.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.