Re: insufficient privileges

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 11:45:06 -0800

orcldba2001_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 28, 10:28 am, "Steve Howard" <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > orcldba2..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > oracle_home=d:\oracle\ora92
> > > oracle_sid=abc
> >
> > > The following is my sqlnet.ora
> >
> > > # SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File:
> > > d:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> > > # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
> >
> > > #SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> >
> > > NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
> >
> > > The following is the section from the tnsnames.ora
> >
> > > abc =
> > > (DESCRIPTION =
> > > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = moon)(PORT = 1521)(queuesize =
> > > 25))
> > > )
> > > (CONNECT_DATA =
> > > (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> > > (SERVICE_NAME = abc)
> > > )
> > > )
> >
> > > No...This is not a multi Oracle home machine
> >
> > > Note : If I change the sqlnet.ora to the following
> >
> > > # SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File:
> > > d:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> > > # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
> >
> > > SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> >
> > > NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
> >
> > > I receive following error
> >
> > > Enter user-name: /as sysdba
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
> >
> > > If I comment the line in the sqlnet.ora
> > > #SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> >
> > > I receive the following error
> >
> > > Enter user-name: /as sysdba
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
> >
> > > If I change the line in sqlnet.ora
> > > SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
> >
> > > I get the following error
> >
> > > Enter user-name: /as sysdba
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-01031: insufficient privilegesI think this is because you are logged into an AD domain. Can you
> > create a local account and try it as that
> > (SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)?
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
> created a local user
> added user to administrator and ora_dba group
> logged out and logged locally to the same server as new user

> made sure that sqlnet.authentication_services = none was set
>

> tried to logon as \
>

> received same result
>

> insufficient privileges
>

> This is bugging me quite a lot
>

> Yes...I do have the sys and system password but that is not the issue.
> The issue is that "Why does this not work ?"
> I have other servers where this works very very well.
>

> I have inherited this server ...The earlier DBA has left.
>

> As..I asked earlier...Is this because the install was done with another
> account which was not a part of ORA_DBA group ?
>

> How do I find this ?
>

> same result

when logged on as a domain user, authentication will take place against the domain (active directory).
when logged on locally as a local user (with membership in the ORA_DBA local group) with the sqlnet.authentication_services=NTS,

sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect / as sysdba

should work without throwing the ora-12638.

now, (remote) users authenticating may find themselves receiving the ora-12638 message as a side effect.

The way that I have handled this in the past with a single oracle_home is:

%ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin\sqlnet.ora - sqlnet.authentication_services=none

Copy the sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files into the home directory of the user account.
Here set the parameter/key pair sqlnet.authentication_services=nts and use these config files when attempting to connect using OS authentication (via the TNS_ADMIN env var).

This was with 10.1, so it might not work correctly with 9.2. I haven't worked with 9.2 in quite some time.

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Nov 28 2006 - 13:45:06 CST