Re: OracleXE is garbage

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 11:31:52 -0800

reqfoo wrote:
> I appreciate your response, let me just say a few things as it seems
> that people are very quick to assume that I am a complete newbie.

Most people in cdos would prefer if you don't top post.

> code etc.", this confirms my suspicion. Oracle just assumed I wanted a
> bunch of stuff. Was there a prompt for this during the installation?
> If so, I must have missed it. Does anyone know how to turn this stuff
> off and if it will fix this issue?

Oracle XE is a bundle ... a suite, call it what you want to. I haven't used it but I believe that because it is packaged as a bundle there are not options to "install only" what you want to. You might want to read the oracle documentation for XE.

In contrast, the other route of installing and configuring oracle involves a lot more choosing and selecting what features you want/need/purchase. But it requires a fairly high experience level. Get yourself a technology network license and install and configure the individual parts that you require if that's your preference.

> When I discovered Oracle XE was the cause of the sluggish performance
> on startup I changed the service config to manual setup.

It may be related to your machines capabilities. Get a nice AMD 64 bit X2 system with 2 gig of memory and some fast SATA drives ...

> About the web-based UI coming up slowly; I can open DBVisualizer and
> start viewing the Oracle DB well before the web-based UI even loads.
> This happens quite often when I haven't accessed the web-based UI in
> awhile.

I suspect that is related to your machine's capabilities.

> About the annoying "invalid statement" error in the web-based UI; I
> don't think this is very difficult to reproduce as I've seen it occur
> on every machine XE is running on. Just use the table viewer for
> awhile...it is sure to occur.

Hopefully then it's a bug that has already been reported and will be fixed in a new version of XE at some point.

There are support forums for XE at oracle ( somewhere ). You might want to check those out and check the status of this one. Received on Tue Nov 28 2006 - 13:31:52 CST