Re: OracleXE is garbage

From: Martin Gäckler <martin_at_gaeckler.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:19:57 +0100

reqfoo schrieb:
> Once upon a time I used PostgreSQL and was happy. Then one day my
> employer told me that we were all to use OracleXE while working on the
> big new project. Since then I've come to hate Oracle.
>
> Why is the installation so huge?
>
> Why does my computer crawl on startup if the DB is configured as a
> service that automatically starts up?
>
> Why does the web-based UI for the DB take a year to come up when I
> haven't accessed it in awhile?
>
> Why does the web-based UI give me an "invalid statement" error for its
> own dynamically generated query?
>
> I've also used several other Oracle products in the last couple years
> and every single experience has contributed to the same verdict:
>
> Oracle software might perform well in *very* specific situations, but
> in general it is bloated garbage.
>
> Thoughts?

I am using Oracle for about 15 years on several machines. Even my good old workstation with Pentium 90 and 64 MB Ram was good enough to run Oracle 7.

Actually I have installed Oracle 10 SE on a Suse Linux 10.1 machine with 1 GB Ram. Oracle 9.2 SE on a Notebook with Windows XP and 1 GB Ram. Oracle 8.0.5 on a Windows XP Workstation with 2 GB Ram. Oracle 9.2 on a Windows 2003 Server with 1 GB Ram.

All these are developer machines with small databases. But even the biggest database (aprox. 6 GB of data) runs with an acceptable speed. Another database used by a colleague with aprox 15 GB of data runs on the Win 2003 machine very well, too.

OK, we would never use these installations as our production machines with aprox. 2000 concurrent users, but 5 concurrent users served by our Win 2003 Server are no problem.

Martin

--
Firma/Company:                                              CRESD GmbH
Phone: +49-89-65 30 95 63                      Fax: +49-89-65 30 95 64