Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 14:14:46 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> Richard Foote wrote:
> > <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Could very well be, Richard. Perhaps you are reading too much in
> >> my words ? (which were admittedly very terse in the first report :-)
> >>
> >> I was actually very careful not to voice any conclusions till now.
> >> For the record, the conclusions are :
> >>
> >> 1) Did the rebuild impact the display of screens ? NO.
> >> 2) Did the rebuild impact the night job ? YES, definitely yes.
> >> 3) Did the rebuild impact opening lists ? Definitely a suspect area.
> >>

> > Hi Raoul
> >
> > Now my suspicious mind is cast towards this night job that "YES, definitely
> > yes" improved after index rebuilds.
> >
> > You mentioned earlier that this night job dropped from 5 hours down to 2
> > hours. And all from some index rebuilds. Again this is an extraordinary
> > result, one that I would have thought warranted further investigation if
> > only as previously mentioned by hpuxrac to determine exactly what these
> > magical indexes might be.

> Is it possible what the OP is seeing is a delayed block cleanout?

I think it is entirely possible. I'm wondering if simply doing a count(*) that uses the index in question, before performing each test, might shed light one way or the other. The idea is to visit all blocks and clean them.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "Some of the old-timers grumbled: 'Where's the
mystique? Where is the aura of mystery around what we do?' The good