Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:54:51 +0100

"dops" <r.solofria_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1163973673.842681.204680_at_e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> thanx for your reply.. my english is not very good, maybe this is the
> problem :)
> reading documentation i understand that oracle call the "database" as
> "schema" (it's right?)
> well, if it's right, how i can create a new schema associated with
> exiting user? i don't see any menu item "create new schema" maybe this
> is a limitation of express version of oracle?
> for example (if u know the express version), the express version of
> oracle have a default user named "HR", how i can create a new database
> (with tables and related objects) associated with this user?
> But if i want create a database not associated with a specific user, i
> can?
> Thanx again ;)

A "database" (or database instance) in Oracle can be compared to a SQL Server "instance".
You can have multiple Oracle databases on 1 server installed in different "Oracle homes" (different installation directories). On Windows, you will have a different service for each database. Within an Oracle database, you can create users (like SCOTT, SYSTEM, SYS etc). Compare this to the "logins" in SQL Server. Each user can create objects like tables, indexes, synonyms etc. A user that owns objects is called a schema. So a schema is nothing more than a collection of database objects belonging to a specific user. Please note that whenever you drop (delete) a user in Oracle, *all* objects belonging to that user (= the whole schema) will be removed ! This is not the case in SQL Server, since dropping an SQL Server login will never remove objects, they only become "orphaned". In SQL Server there is also a distinction between "logins" and "users" (a login being a server-wide account, while a user is a login having access to one or more databases).

Hope this makes any sense :-)
Matthias Received on Sun Nov 19 2006 - 16:54:51 CST