Re: problem: insert into remote table (dblink) hangs after migration 8.0.6 to 9.2.0

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2006 06:27:57 -0800

jan.rid..._at_datell.nl wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have a distributed database system, that, until recently, consisted
> of Oracle 8.0.6. databases.
> It has a main database, where most of the action takes place, and 10-20
> smaller remote databases, connected with dblinks.
>
> Recently we migrated the main database to Oracle 9i. The remote
> databases remained 8.0.6.
>
> After adjusting the tnsnames to the new global naming conventions, all
> the dblinks seem to work correctly. We can do selections and small
> inserts, so the dblinks work fine.
>
> But sometimes, when our application tries to insert data on several
> remote tables (via a synonym) in one PL-SQL block, it hangs on the
> first insert.
>
> When I use TOAD to look at the sessions on both databases, we see:
> - there are no blocked or blocking locks on either sides
> - the session on the main database waits: SQL*Net break/reset
> to dblink
> - the session on the remote database waits: SQL*Net more data
> to client
>
> Any suggestions on what to check, where to look, or links to relevant
> documentation are more than welcome.
>
> JanR

As per Oracle Client/Server Interoperability Support matrix (Metalink note #207303.1), 8.0.6 to 9.2 communications are not officially supported and all sorts hangs, spins and errors may happen, which will not be investigated nor fixed by Oracle. This includes 8.0.6 client talking to 9.2 db, 9.2 client talking to 8.0.6 db, and 8.0.6 db talking to 9.2 db via dblinks. Even 8.1<->9.2 connections are not supported for 8.1 releases older than 8.1.7, and with 8.1.7, 8.1.7.4 and at least 9.2.0.4 patchsets are required for proper operation. You need to migrate your 8.0.6 databases to at least 8.1.7.4 to get on supported configuration (though 8.1.7<->9.2 is only supported for EMS customers.)

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Fri Nov 17 2006 - 08:27:57 CST