Re: move database to new server/directory

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:30:05 -0600

On 2006-11-17, Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> EscVector wrote:
>> Helmut Schneider wrote:
>> > I'm deeply impressed and thank you very much. Worked like a charm.
>> >
>> > Helmut
>> >
>> > --
>> Next time use RMAN, rename datafile, or backup controlfile method.
>>
>> Never, never, never export.....It's now not the same db any more...
>> You've altered your prod data and now own the problem if there are any
>> issues.
>>
>> I'm happy that it worked for you though.
>> Cheers....
>
> I disagree regarding the statement "Never, never, never export". If
> the old database server was running some variant of 8i, 9i, or 10.1,
> the RMAN method would not move the database to the new server. One of
> the advantages of using export and import is to perform repeated
> testing of Oracle upgrades, and/or application upgrades. For instance,
> if I was running Oracle 8.1.7.3 on an old server, and wanted to test
> application compatibility with Oracle 10.2.0.2, exporting from the old
> server and importing into the new server is perfectly acceptable. The
> export/import process also allows database reconfiguration changes, and
> testing those changes without risking harm to the production database -

        All of this can be just as easily done and more reliably done with an image copy of the database. Do a hot backup or a cold backup (if conditions allow for that) and just go through the regular non-exp migration procedures.

> such changes may be moving to a different character set to support XML
> data (watch out for problems with this change), moving to locally
> managed tablespaces, changing file location, changing database SID
> name, etc. Yes, RMAN or other commands can be used to help with some

        A lot of this can just be done by moving tables. You DON'T need to use exp/imp for this sort of thing anymore.

> of these tasks, but it is very easy to script an export, create
> tablespace, and import.

        The same can be said for anything else that occurs through a unix shell interface or sqlplus. You can even script asmcmd commands if you really want and RMAN commands too.

        Oracle's logical backup utilities are crude and crufty even under ideal conditions. They are likely to be the slowest and most error prone option available. You probably want to avoid them if you can.

[deletia]

--

	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \

                http://www.usenet.com