Re: Trace Files and Alert Logs Filling Up Hard Drive

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2006 11:54:30 -0800

HMM wrote:
> Sorry, I don't use forums very often..I get a little mixed up with the
> ettiquitte. I hope this isn't top-posted.

It is. You need to scroll down and start typing below what you are responding to, either like this or just go to the end. Also trim out unecessary text from the reply.

> Thanks for your help! I'm not using DataGuard or Standby database. It
> is Enterprise Edition and not a domain controller. The Oracle is
> installed on a stand-alone test server. I checked the parameters you
> gave and they are the following:
>
> db_name = gisx
> db_unique_name = gisx
> log_archive_config = (blank)
> control_files = c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\gisx\control1.ctl,
> c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\gisx\control2.ctl,
> c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\gisx\control3.ctl
> log_archive_dest_1 = (blank)
> log_archive_dest_2 = (blank)
> log_archive_dest_state_1 = enable
> log_archive_dest_state_2 = enable
> remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive
> log_archive_format = ARC%S_%R.%T
> log_archive_max_processes = 2

See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams098.htm . The log_archive_config default is 'SEND, RECEIVE, NODG_CONFIG' maybe the bug is setting it to blank doesn't overide the default. While logged in to sql as sysdba, show paramter log_archive_config and try alter system set log_archive_config='NOSEND NORECEIVE NODG_CONFIG';

While you are at it, show parameter log_arch .

In addition to what David said, I'd have to ask, what about log_archive_dest_1? One generally wants to run in archivelog mode unless there is a good, defined reason not to.

Also see if dg_broker_start is in there. Take it out or set it to false if so.

Also run dgmgrl from the shell and connect as your system user. You should get an error, if you don't, show configuration. That means something with dataguard is started that you don't want. Type in "disable configuration".

If you solve the problem, be sure and get after support to fix it - I'm guessing the fix would be making reasonable defaults for when the user doesn't put in log destinations.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Where does your laptop go when you stand up?