Re: Tnsnames

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2006 15:17:47 -0800

EscVector wrote:
> TNSNames.ora is a simple ASCII text file.
> Make sure you backup your working file prior to hand editing.
>
> You can edit in any text editor.
>
> If you are on windows, I'll be posting a script at MSScript center that
> generates a tnsnames file from EXCEL or other OLEDB table or file
> sources. It will be there in a few weeks.
>

> Lber wrote:
> > Hi, can TNSnames.ora be edited in notepad?
> >
> > or do i need to edit it from inside Oracle?

Some versions of Oracle tnsnames.ora are subject to pretty bizarro breakage by mysterious invisible characters like "space." So while it is indeed a simple ASCII text file... listen to Sybrand.

No offense, but I don't think I'd trust any tnsnames file from any third party script generator. It's just too frustrating to work with files that have nothing visibly wrong with them but still don't work. Not the script generators fault.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://nukethehamptons.com/launch.html