Re: Tnsnames

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2006 07:28:07 -0800

joel garry wrote:
> EscVector wrote:
> > TNSNames.ora is a simple ASCII text file.
> > Make sure you backup your working file prior to hand editing.
> >
> > You can edit in any text editor.
> >
> > If you are on windows, I'll be posting a script at MSScript center that
> > generates a tnsnames file from EXCEL or other OLEDB table or file
> > sources. It will be there in a few weeks.
> >

> > Lber wrote:
> > > Hi, can TNSnames.ora be edited in notepad?
> > >
> > > or do i need to edit it from inside Oracle?
>
> Some versions of Oracle tnsnames.ora are subject to pretty bizarro
> breakage by mysterious invisible characters like "space." So while it
> is indeed a simple ASCII text file... listen to Sybrand.
>
> No offense, but I don't think I'd trust any tnsnames file from any
> third party script generator. It's just too frustrating to work with
> files that have nothing visibly wrong with them but still don't work.
> Not the script generators fault.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://nukethehamptons.com/launch.html

You wouldn't need to trust it. It would be open for you to read... :) Use it or don't.

Also, which "versions" are subject to breakage. It is true that if you have a space before the alias, it won't work. What other errors have you seen? Just curious. I find it funny when TNS becomes a problem. What about file backups, copies and source control. TNS issues are simple is a consistent debugging process is followed. Received on Fri Nov 17 2006 - 09:28:07 CST